Walking society members, help us put together a great plan of walks and other activities for the new year 2017!
The walking society organised 9 local walks for the new students at Cranfield University between the months of October and December 2016. You can read about some of these events here. These walks followed the footpath and cycle path to Cranfield village; showed us the way across the fields to a local farm shop and along a country lane to a local pub in the quintessential village of North Crawley; led us to visit a nearby historical market town of Olney and the medieval hunting ground of Salcey Forest; and explore the geology of the highest point of East of England and Bedfordshire’s best secrets.
Where could our walks take us in the new year 2017? This is an opportunity for our walking society’s members to have their say and get actively involved in planning our next walks.
If you are not a member yet, this is an opportunity for you to meet our friendly bunch and join our society.
Looking forward to seeing you!
If you cannot attend this meeting in person and would like to contribute with ideas for upcoming activities, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrew and Kristina
Who is behind Cranfield University’s Walks?
Currently the activities of the walking student society at Cranfield University are managed by Andrew, a member of staff and a PhD student, and Kristina, founder of this walking society and an ex- PhD student.
Cranfield University’s Walks is now looking for volunteers to form its committee for the academic year 2016-2017. Having a committee is a prerequisite for any student society to be eligible to apply for funding from Cranfield Students’ Association.
What committee positions are available?
1st and 2nd Photo Editor
Social Media Officer (Facebook, Instagram)
Why become a committee member for Cranfield University’s Walks?
This is what our past committee members say:
Getting involved on the committee is a great way to gain organisational skills, as well as meeting the locals.(Sarah,a committee member extraordinaire, President and 2x Treasurer)
This will help you to develop quite a few useful skills such as planning, budgeting, leadership, team working, etc. Not joking. I very successfully used my experience of being a committee member in the competency questions of job applications and interviews.This led me to be offered a place on a graduate scheme with Rolls-Royce. (Belén, Photo Editor, Social Media Officer - the voice of the walking society!)
I won the award of “Bee’s knees” of the walking society in the academic year of 2013-2014. I was happy to get this unexpected award.I was also happy that I improved from the activities (Jing received Cranfield Students’ Association awards 2013/2014. The nomination read “Well done, Jing, great to see you gaining confidence and becoming a walk leader and an events organiser.” )
By joining Cranfield University’s walking society, you will make friends for life. Just remember, KEEP WALKING! (Vikas, the most enthusiastic participant of the society's activities and its WordPress Editor-in-Chief, a committee member extraordinaire)
It helps you win friendship, keep fit, see beautiful scenery, but also enriches your knowledge in nature and history.It would definitely make your life at Cranfield University different and much more delightful and enjoyable.(Xiaojian, Photo Editor, Picasa and HTML troubleshooter)
The walking society at Cranfield University was one of the warmest fraternities I got involved with on campus.(Ann, Membership Officer)
Read more on our Testimonials page.
Kristina says: This is a fantastic opportunity for you to be at the heart of the student community at Cranfield University: as the founder of the society and a committee member it has been priceless for me to see Cranfield students so happy on our walks in the fresh air, out in the beautiful countryside. By being part of our committee, you gain valuable transferable skills such as using WordPress and Eventbrite and being a good leader. Or perhaps you already have some great experience that could benefit our student walking society ‘Cranfield University’s Walks’. Whatever the reason, don’t hesitate to get in touch if you are interested to be part of our winning team and to discuss further these positions!
Our email: email@example.com
The Cranfield Clubs & Societies Fair will be in the CSA on:
- Saturday – 5th of October 17:00-20:00
- Tuesday – 8th of October 12:30-14:00
Go there and look for the Walking Society’s stand. Meet some of the walkers and ask all you want to know about the club. But above all, do not miss the opportunity to join the Walking Society.
– Why join the Walking Society?
– 1) Because you like exercise, being outdoors, and meeting people. 2) Because we have itineraries for all tastes: half day excursions starting from Cranfield for the ramblers, beautiful days-out for the walkers, and amazing weekends in the National Parks for the hikers. 3) Because in this club there is always something new to learn; Have you ever done climbing? Do you know how to read a map? Have you ever played geocaching? Do you know how to take good pictures? (find here past walks and activities)
– What are the benefits of joining the Walking Society?
– Do you mean apart from all the fun? Well, the club activities are either only for members or the members have a discount. You will also have a 20% discount in The Outdoor Shop in Stacey Bushes by showing your member card and a 10% discount at GoOutdoors in Bedford.
– Ok, you have persuaded me, this club is for me. How can I join the Walking Society?
– You will only have to come to the stand, fill in a form, and pay the one-off membership fee: £10. The next step is… walking! You will get an email with the programmed activities, and you can be aware of the upcoming events by following us in a social network.
We are waiting for you!
(If you cannot attend the fair you can always register in the club by following the steps stated in the Membership section).